New Client Install
Outlook Quick Setup
Grant Basham 1/19/2010
These are quick notes on how to configure the Microsoft Outlook (2010) email client for the new Exchange server that we opened last week. When the dust settles and we have a bit of time you will get pretty pictures. We think this works for 2007 as well, but there may be problems with 2003. Consider upgrading if you have 2003.
New Account Setup
We recommend that you delete your old IMAP protocol account and install a new Exchange protocol account. Turn off / exit any running Outlook.
- Start -> Control Panel -> Mail (32 bit) -> [Email Accounts...]
In the Account Settings window, there should be line beginning with your RSMAS email address.
- If the Type is POP, DO NOT DELETE THE ACCOUNT.
- If type is IMAP, delete the account- highlite the line beginning YOUR-USERNAME@rsmas.miami.edu and click the X Remove button at the top.
- Click the New... button at the top and start entering the requested information.
- In the Choose Service window click the E-mail account radio button.
In Account Setup, enter
- Your name: Firstname Lastname
- E-mail address: YOUR-ACCOUNT@rsmas.miami.edu
- Password: your cnumber wi capital C (two times)
*** The window shows that a network connection is establised and your server settings are searched for. A Windows Security popup window appears with your email account name and password. You must change your account name:
- USERNAME@rsmas.miami.edu becomes amazon\USERNAME
- Password area does not change
- Check Remember password if you like it to remember.
- The popup window goes away and the Add New Account window shows you can [Finish].
You can now start Outlook and you should have a new exchange-protocol rsmas email account area showing your messages.