Reducing electricity consumption is the easiest way to fight global warming.
- Turn off the lights whenever you leave a room.
- As incandescent bulbs burn out, replace them with fluorescent bulbs. A compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulb is 4 to 6 times more efficient than an incandescent bulb.
- Reduce or turn off the air conditioning or heat when you leave the house.
- Insulate your house; that will reduce the need for heating or cooling your house.
- Many electronics (TVs, stereos, DVDs and DVRs, cell phones and battery chargers) continue to draw power if plugged even if they are not in use. Consider unplugging them or connecting them to a power strip with an on/off button that can easily be turned off.
Florida Power & Light — Top 10 Tips to Save Energy